(ResultsManager Professional edition only)
We recommend that you are comfortable with the way that ResultsManager works, before starting to synchronise activities with Outlook.
If you already have tasks in Outlook, you should make a copy of your tasks folder so that you can return to your original task list if you have problems with the synchronisation with MindManager.
To set up synchronisation with Outlook:
- Change to Power User mode if you are currently in Express mode. Click the ResultsManager tab | Options group | User Mode and select Power User mode.
- If you were already in Power User mode, then click the ResultsManager tab | Options group | Options | ResultsManager Options to view the Power User mode options. If you just changed to Power User mode, then the options dialogue will open automatically.
- Enable the three options as shown below:
- Click OK to save your settings.
- Open your Map Central map, and click on the ResultsManager tab | Dashboard group | Create Dashboard. Select one of the "Outlook Sync" Dashboards, as these are designed specifically for synchronisation with Outlook:
- When the Dashboard map is complete, ResultsManager will remind you to Send Dashboard changes after synchronising with Outlook:
- Now click MindManager Button | Export | Synchronize Microsoft Outlook Tasks. Make sure the option for only exporting Topics that use Task information is selected:
(MindManager X5 screen capture)
- MindManager will now create tasks in Outlook for new tasks in the Dashboard map, and will also create new tasks in the Dashboard map if it finds any new tasks in Outlook.
- If you had tasks in Outlook that were not already present in the Dashboard, then MindManager adds them back to the Dashboard map on each synchronisation. They get added to the Central Topic by default. If you want to save them in your project maps, then drag the new activities to a Callout Topic that represents a Project or Result, or leave them attached to the Central Topic to have ResultsManager prompt you for a destination project map. You can't leave them lying around in the Dashboard map, as they will get overwritten the next time this Dashboard is regenerated.
- Important! Each time you synchronise the dashboard map with Outlook, you should then use ResultsManager's Send Dashboard Changes command. This will save the Outlook sync data back into the project maps, so that the next time you synchronise, the same task in Outlook is updated and a new copy is not created. If you forget this step, then you will get multiple copies of the same task when you synchronise again later.