From MindManager 6 onwards, the support for Categories as part of the Task Info task pane was discontinued. MindManager 6.0.664 (Service Pack 0) and above introduced legacy support for Task Categories information used by MindManager X5 and ResultsManager. This is implemented with Text Markers in the Map Markers set of a map, by creating a "Categories" marker group. However, the use of Text Markers has certain limitations.
The limitations of using Text Markers in a "Categories" Marker Group in MindManager 6.0.664 & above include the following:
- If a new Map Marker set is applied to a map, existing Category information will be lost unless current label values exist in the Categories group in the new Map Marker set (which is not guaranteed)
- If a Topic containing Category information coded in Text Markers is copied from one map to another, then the "Categories" Marker Group may not be created in the destination map, causing loss of Categories information
- Map Parts containing the Categories Text Marker Group do not cause the Categories group to be created, causing loss of Categories information
- If a map that has been edited once with MindManager 6 is edited again with MindManager X5 Pro, then any changes to the Categories data will not be reflected the next time the map is edited in MindManager 6.
To maintain the same functions of ResultsManager on MindManager X5 and 6, ResultsManager provides ongoing support for Task Categories, and will attempt to keep Categories and Text Marker information synchronised. Categories can still be entered through the ResultsManager Edit dialogue. ResultsManager also includes two workarounds to handle these issues:
- A backup of the Categories information is stored in a custom attribute in each Topic. If the original Categories data is lost for any reason, ResultsManager will recover the data from the last backup copy. This fix is transparent in use, but does means that wherever possible, you should use the ResultsManager Edit dialogue to edit activities if you want to ensure that Categories data is preserved.
- A new utility is included with ResultsManager for MindManager 6 and 7 to help restore lost Categories information. If you are missing your expected Categories in either the Dashboard maps, the on-screen display of Text Markers, or the ResultsManager Edit dialogue, then open the Project map that you suspect may have lost data, and click the Tools tab | Macros group | Macros | Repair Categories Data. ResultsManager will attempt to recover and repair missing Categories data and will allow you to make manual corrections where it detects a problem. Normally, you would only need to use this utility once, unless some later event causes loss of Categories data again.